List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Netscape drops vCard.
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () rikkus ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-07-03 0:00:38

Looks like between Communicator 4.5 and 4.6 Netscape have switched to a format
called 'ldif' for their default. I'm not quite sure what this is - perhaps it's
the format that LDAP uses ? 'LDAP Directory Information Format' ?

You can import (on any platform I think) from .cvs, tab delimited or ldif.

Communicator on Linux seems to only want to export to ldif - I think on other
platforms you can export to csv or tab delimited too.

The docs say that you can import from Eudora and Outlook Express.
I presume this means that Eudora and Outlook Express are using ldif.

If this is true then it's got to be a Good Thing to use the same format.

/me gets very upset at the prospect of killing off the
nearly-finished-and-already-working vCard parser. I think the formats look
similar though.

Anyone know what ldif is and where to find the spec ?

At least I can take some comfort in the fact that the vCard 3.0 parser will
then become an import filter, and a damn good one at that :)

Cheers,
Rik

--
KDE - Colour outside the lines  : http://www.kde.org