List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] emailprivacytester.com, video/audio tag
From:       Jan_Kundrát <jkt () flaska ! net>
Date:       2013-11-20 15:03:38

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 14:03:15 CEST, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> the test only loads an external reference from the web, nothing
> else. It doesn't actually test for tracking id or anything like
> that attached to the url

Hi Sebas, please note that it is impossible to write an algorithm for
classifying URLs into two sets, one of them with "no tracking" and the
other with "with tracking ID" which works for all input and is reliable.
Hence blocking all remote requests sounds reasonable.

> Given that the user has explicitely allowed loading content from the
> web, this seems OK to me.

I'm not sure how KMail works, but I read the original mail as "enabled
original mail wasn't accurate and the KMail settings are in fact "disable
any HTML" vs. "enable any HTML, including remote contents". If that is the
case, then the audio/video preview is indeed a "feature", not a "bug". If,
however, KMail has a feature for only e.g. showing remote images upon
explicit confirmation, then it makes sense to treat the audio and video
tags as something similar, in my opinion.

With kind regards,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/