List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Akonadi being a desktop-indepent standard
From:       "David Jarvie" <djarvie () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-18 9:09:26

On Saturday 16 August 2008 15:18, Holger Berndt wrote:
> Re-reading project pages of Akonadi, I understand that the project is
> mostly about providing a central storage and access management for PIM
> data.
>
> I am not sure many 3rd party applications would want to rely on that. I
> am pretty certain, for example, that the Claws Mail dev team would not
> aggree on outsourcing actual mail message storage.

Akonadi provides data access and caching, not data storage. So there is no
question of outsourcing actual mail message storage - you can continue to
store data in the format you currently use. To access a data store,
Akonadi uses a 'resource' which knows about the particular storage format
and how to access it. If you want to store your email data in mbox format,
for example, an Akonadi mbox resource will be required. If no resource
currently exists for a storage type, the ResourceBase class in the Akonadi
library provides the basis for writing a new resource to access it.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.