List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kmail and M$ Exchange
From:       "Michael S. Mikowski" <z_mikowski () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-06-21 2:59:27

Hello:

Here it is again, extracted from its root document.  Perhaps posting
this on the PIM homepage and developer review would be a good thing? :)

While it is not in the document, I have recently been using dimap
subscription to minimize exposure to useless shared folders.  This
reduces my local disk footprint, and improves sync time dramatically.
I will be sure to include this next time I update the docs.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Mike
www.dynaorg.com

["kontact-exchange.txt" (text/plain)]

* Kontact -- Exchange Support (4):

  I've always had trouble with Evolution and Kontact.
  I still need to use an RDP client for some Outlook tasks - specifically,
  for group scehduling.  But for daily email, ldap contacts, personal
  appointments, and reading my calendar, Kontact does a decent job.

  Some things are actually much faster in Kontact than in Outlook,
  such as searching messages, although downloading email is slower.

  UPDATE 20060916: A friend told me that Evolution has, well, evolved
  and is much better than when I last tried to use it (about 6mos ago).
  I tried again.  On the KDE desktop at least, it remains buggy and prone
  to crashes.  I do really miss better calendar integration, but after a day
  of trying it, I've again reverted to Kontact.

  Open Kontact, and ...
  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Kontact
    [x] Always start with specified component <Mail>
  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> "Select Components"
    [x] Calendar, News, Mail, Contacts

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Misc, "Groupware" tab
    [x] Enable IMAP resource functionality
    [ ] Hide groupware folders
    ----
    [x] Mangle From:/To: headers...   # Outlook mangle
    [x] Send invitations in mail body # Outlook mangle

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Identities
    Click "Add" button.  Everything should be clear

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Accounts
    "Receiving" Tab
      "Add" button and select - [x] Disconnected IMAP
      In the "Add Account" dialog
        Account Name: MyCompany
        Login: yourname
        Password: yourpasswd
        Host: exchange.mycompany.com
        Port: 143
        Namespaces: (click on the 2 arrow icon)
        [x] Store IMAP Password
        [ ] Show...
        [ ] Show...
        [x] Include in manual mail check
        [ ] Enable....
      click "OK"
      "Security" Tab - use defaults
      "Filtering" Tab - use defaults
    "Sending" Tab
      Default Domain: exchange.com
      "Add" button and select - [x] SMTP
      In the "Add Transport" dialog
        Name: MyCompany
        Host: exchange.mycompany.com
        Port: 25
        # Leave everything else as default
      click "OK"
  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Security
    "Reading" Tab
      [x] Prefer HTML to plain text # security vs convenience
      [x] Allow messages to load .. # ditto
      # Leave everything else as default
    Click "OK"

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Calender
    -> Group Scheduling
      [x] Use Groupware communication
      Mail Client - [x] Kmail

  In the Mail module (select on the upper RH side of the window),
    File -> Check Mail # will update IMAP; will take some time

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Accounts
    "Receiving" Tab
      Select MyCompany account and click "Modify" button
        Trash Folder: MyCompany/Deleted Items

  In the Contacts module (select on the upper RH side of the window)
    Near the bottom RH corner of the window
      Click on "Add" button and then select "LDAP"
      In resulting form:
        Host: ldap.mycompany.com
        # Click on "Query Server" button to get server details

        Authentication: [x] Simple

        Name: MyCompany
        [x] ReadOnly
        User: CORP\yourlogin
        Password: yourpasswd
        [x] Sub-tree query

      And Click "OK"; You should now see LDAP entries to search through

  Settings -> Configure Kontact -> Mail -> Misc, "Groupware" tab
     Resources folders are subfolders of: MyCompany

  In the Calendar module (select on the upper RH side of the window)
    Near the middle RH side, select the "Default KOrganizer resource"
    and then click the "Remove" button

    Click on "Add" and select "Calendar on IMAP Server via KMail"

    You may wish to select [x] Read-only to prevent mucking up the calendar,
    using only RDP to update it.  I find that a hassle, so I have this
    unchecked.  But beware: don't do any group scheduling here.