List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] State of the community and websites
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-02 7:58:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[[ yay! ]]

On Monday 02 October 2006 03:02, Nathan Eckenrode wrote:
> On Sunday 01 October 2006 19:51, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > On Monday 02 October 2006 01:31, Nathan Eckenrode wrote:
> > > i would be quite happy to help out with kontact.kde.org, i can code a
> > > webpage, but not quite capable of working on kontact. As I pretty much
> > > live out of Kontact, It would be a great joy to help the community.
> >
> > Keep in mind there's not really any website coding to be done -- we have
> > hosting, a framework, a look, etc. which don't need maintainence because

Actually, this is not entirely true. The PIM website is not yet 100% ported to
the new look and framework (it had a fork of a bunch of stuff). The Kontact
website might run just about anything, I don't know. Both sites live in SVN,
though:

svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/www/areas/pim
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/www/apps/kontact

It depends a little on what you want to do whether the edit links on the pages
(that have them) or the SVN checkout is the way to go.

> > the central webteam does that -- but mostly *content* and
> > *organizational* work. The tools are done (they may not be too great, but
> > ..) and it's time to get cracking on the text.
>
> I did notice that when I took a short trip over there just now, as it's all
> wiki style editing there is just a bunch of content writing that is needed.

"Just" content, heh. As far as I'm concerned (but I'm a geek) the writing is
the hard bit, not the PHP.

> So firstly, I need to gather any information about Kontact that is more
> relevant than Feb 2005 and compose the content on the webpage. Certainly,
> will be a nice little research project for me to undertake.

[[ yay! ]] That would be awesome. There is of course this mailing list with
development information, and a lot of activity on the kdepim-users mailing
list which might be distilled into content for there.

> Also, if there are any specific items which need to be posted or written
> about, then I would be willing to act in such a manner as to receive this

You gots to go out and grab the developers by the scruff of their necks and
thrash any information out of 'em.

Welcome!

--
These are your friends - Adem