List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] State of the community and websites
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-30 22:01:12

Hi PIMsters,

You may notice that a large number of the KDE websites were updated this week
to the "new" look. Not so PIM, because it has its own color scheme. We
introduced this scheme ages ago in order to distinguish
the "business-oriented" PIM developer site from others. It's trivial to port
PIM to the new look but without different colors -- I did the defunct kpilot
part of PIM last week before finally removing it.

So, since we're (I use "we" loosely because I hardly consider myself part of
the PIM community any more) lacking a webmaster and content updates only very
rarely on the PIM website, I'm going to ask a few questions:

1) Do we really want to keep the "special" blue look? The revised look would
have (soon, once the artists create one) a PIM or Kontact logo in the
upper-right -- see the aKademy site vs. www.kde.org for instance.

2) Do we really need the site at all? The point of pim.kde.org was to contain
developer information for PIM and express some of the developer community
like the Osnabruck meetings. The developer information itself could easily be
put under developer.kde.org -- a page "what's special about PIM" for
instance. The community things -- giving the PIM project a face -- could move
to the kontact website.

3) Do we have any plan to get the user website kontact.kde.org up and running
again? It has not updated much in over a year either. Suppose we could get
content -- from the user list for instance, where Alex, Art and Anne have
been doing a really good job running support -- how should we publish it?

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/