List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [kdepim-users] Can't gpg sign e-mail
From:       Nathan Eckenrode <neckenrode () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-09-20 4:33:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 23:50, Jean-Philippe Monteiro wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 22:01, Boyan Tabakov wrote:
> > http://www.pgpi.org/doc/whypgp/en/
>
> I'll just strongly agree with you, for various reasons that range from fear
> to anger.
>
> >http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html#q7.1
>
> I just got lost VERY FAST here. The main thing that troubles me is that: I
> do not import your certificate, OK, that's an issue to my
> system/connection/configuration whatever.
>
> Now, how come I can read the contents, if these contents where encrypted ?

Basically, what happens is there are two keys. One Public that everybody can
use, this is the one you import to read signatures as well as encrypt a
message to the owner of the key.

The other key is private, it belongs to you. This key is the one that has the
capability to sign an email or decrypt an encrypted message sent to you, as
long as the message was encrypted using your public key.

Simon Singh wrote an interesting book called "The Code Book" that walks you
through all sorts of codes and encryption techniques as well as the
decryption techniques. He has a couple of excellent chapters that explain
exactly how modern RSA encryption works. I would suggest giving it a read.