List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Frequent crashes - backtrace posting?
From:       BJ Blanchard <blabj () dainty ! ca>
Date:       2006-09-14 13:30:28

Hi,

I am managing a corporate deployment of KDE for 60 users across two gentoo
systems (30 each).  We originally deployed using 3.5.3 and recently upgraded
to 3.5.4.  Under 3.5.3 users experienced frequent kontact crashes (several
per day for "power" users).  Under 3.5.4 the crash frequency has diminished -
but crashes are still occuring.

Last night I deployed kmail and kontact built using gentoo's 'splitdebug'
feature - (which is excellent i might add) and set KDE_DEBUG=true so I get
some core dumps and will be able to get decent backtraces.

So far I have collected two kontact core dumps and backtraces, and I'm sure
there will be more coming.

My question is:  How should I report these since I cannot know what any of
these 60 users were doing when the program crashed, and I may be getting
10-20 of these core dumps per day?

Thanks,

BJ.