List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Time zone issues - not correct time on other machines
From:       Immanuel CRC Office <office () immanuelministries ! ca>
Date:       2006-08-30 18:25:31

I am having issues with appointments having different times between two
machines.

I have read information about properly setting my time zone, and whether
I am using UTC, etc., but I haven't come across my problem. I am hoping
someone here can help out.

I am using a calendar file that began in the Thunderbird calendar
extension (Windows), and was exported. It then spent some time within
Evolution (Linux) and now is in KOrganizer (Linux). I like KOrganizer
very much.

$cat /etc/timezone
America/Toronto

$date
Wed Aug 30 14:04:31 EDT 2006

 From .kde/share/config/korganizerrc
[Time & Date]
TimeZoneId=Canada/Eastern

In KOrganizer, I have an event that shows up in my calendar at the time
I specify, but when I put that file on a WebDAV server, and someone else
looks at it (same time zone as me), the event starts 4 hours early (our
current difference with UTC).

I have an event that begins at 8am local time. This is its record in my
special.ics file:

BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20060830T095028Z
ORGANIZER;CN=Secretary:MAILTO:office@immanuelministries.ca
CREATED:20060811T100551Z
UID:KOrganizer-711000942.818
SEQUENCE:2
LAST-MODIFIED:20060811T101039Z
SUMMARY:RCM Practical - 8:30am - 6pm
LOCATION:Lounge\, Rm. 1\, Sanctuary\, Fellowship Hall\, maybe basement
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;UNTIL=20070623T080000Z
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20070610
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20070617
DTSTART:20070604T080000Z
DTEND:20070604T180000Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
END:VEVENT

I have read that the Z at the end of a DTSTART or DTEND means that the
date is in UTC. However, I am in Eastern Time Zone in NA. The event is
to start at 8am local time, but the DTSTART seems to say 8am UTC.

This would mean that those who pick up the calendar would have their
dates 4 hours off.

1. Does anyone have any idea why are the new events I make not being
stored properly?

2. Is there a way to fix all my current events (script, or something) so
they will show up properly for those who access it by WebDAV.

Thanks!
Crystle

--
Crystle Numan