List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Resource status change delays using
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-06-01 9:39:10

Hi Tobias,

On Thursday 1 Jun 2006 9:53, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 01:04:04AM +0100, David Jarvie wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>> When KAlarm changes an existing resource from inactive to active, it calls
>>      KRES::Manager::change(Resource*)
>> This saves the new config, and the resource library then calls the
>> ManagerObserver::resourceModified() method in kalarmd. However, in kalarmd's
>> resourceModified() method, the resource is still reported as inactive by
>> Resource::isActive(). The status returned by isActive() seems to change to
>> active a short time later, but its timing isn't reliable and sometimes things
>> fail because kalarmd still sees the resource as inactive.
>
>Welcome to the hell of kresources... for this reason we put all our
>energy in akonadi :)

I see. I could always see the necessity of Akonadi for dealing with resources being
shared by unrelated applications, but if this is the sort of problem which can be
encountered when two *cooperating* applications use kresources, it sounds like it's
even more essential than I realised.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.