List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC] Akonadi design
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-16 10:21:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:47:54AM +0530, Vinay Khaitan wrote:
> Some comments on ongoing discussion:-
Hi,

> 2) Have we thought about network scenario? I mean storage process/Search
> providers would be running on different machine and queries are done by
> clients from other machine? It looks like current design fits with this
> scenario IMHO.
Forget about network, Akonadi is supposed to be a local storage. If we
start to add network support we'll have to take take of user management,
authentication etc., so earlier or later we'll end up in a groupware
server, which is not what we want!

> 3) We have to decide between, do we want to allow application level
> configuration or only resource level configuration. former one would vary
> from client to client and later one would unify them essentially making
> change to one client(actually this is a change to resource configuration) to
> propogate to other clients.
We plan to support profiles, where every profile can contain a couple of
resources, so every application can have its own profile with assigned
resources or can share it with other applications.

> As far as resource configuration GUI is concerned, we can leave it to
> clients and provide only protocol to resources which will be utilized by
> clients(in the scenario of not allowing client level configuration).
Well, but maybe we can use autogenerated GUIs here, so that the
application developer don't have to write configuration GUIs for 3rd
party resource plugins.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!