List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KMail & GPG integration
From:       Stefan Gehn <mETz81 () web ! de>
Date:       2006-05-04 21:27:53

Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2006 21:30 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:

> > Again I'm not sure if creating that inside libkleo or for kgpg is the
> > way to go.
>
> For now, doing it in kgpg is probably okay.

Well, I would still need to couple kgpg and the account wizard then.

> I don't know. Try to ask on gpa-dev@gnupg.org or gnupg-devel@gnupg.org
> (not sure if I remember those addresses correctly)

Ok, I'll also have a closer look at how this is meant to work in gpg/gpgconf.
Maybe it's even documented, I didn't have time yet to look into it :)

> > If one could make a pinentry-kde out of pinentry-qt we could get rid
> > of the grabbing but the freezing is still a problem then. I guess
> > it's caused by some blocking call into gpg-libs (unfortunately the
> > grab keeps me from using gdb to find the cause).
>
> Unfortunately, I currently have no time to help you with this.

If I cannot find a solution in time I can still leave that open as long as I
mention it in my summary :)

After all the missing repaint is just a minor glitch that could confuse normal
users.

> > To be honest, finding something in the multiple libkleo backends and
> > having libkgpg complicates things quite a bit :)
>
> I completely agree and I'd love to get rid of libkpgp asap.

Maybe move the needed code into the kleopatra backend? AFAIK kmail does not
use libkgpg directly, does it?

> > Exactly. Can one actually start gpg-agent if needed? AFAIK it has to
> > add a global env-var (GPG_AGENT_INFO) for working properly (it's a
> > path to some socket-file I think).
>
> KMail could probably start gpg-agent, parse the output and set the
> GPG_AGENT_INFO variable in it's own environment. I'm not sure whether
> this would work.

I could give it a try and hack it directly into kmail main() just as a test
and if it works move things into the libkleopatra gpg-backend (I guess that's
the place where gpg-agents needs to be started).

Thanks for all the hints and ideas so far :)

I guess the next step will be diving into libkleopatra to find out if and how
my ui ideas fit into the api (and if the lib already supports creating new
keys).

And now back to all the books over here...

Bye,
Stefan aka mETz