List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KMail & GPG integration
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-04 19:30:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2006 20:41 schrieb Stefan Gehn:
> Am Montag, 1. Mai 2006 01:57 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> > On Saturday 29 April 2006 14:46, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > > Ideas so far (in no particular order and probably not detailed
> > > enough yet):
> >
> > I think the first step would be to make kgpg use libkleo (or at
> > least gpgme) unless this has already been done. Using gpgme is the
> > only way to guarantee that applications using GnuPG will still work
> > with later versions of GnuPG.
>
> I looked a bit into kgpg code and so far it looks like kgpg is
> directly parsing gnupg output :/
>
> Unfortunately I'm not sure if I have the time to change the backend
> behind kgpg given my current timeframe.
>
> Eventually, I will simply allow starting kgpg from kmail and do the
> rest (wizard, agent setup, key viewing) inside libkleo.

Okay.

> > > - allow user to manually fetch missing keys from kmail (could use
> > > kgpg for progress-gui and results)
>
> Question for kmail-devels: where are the sign/encryption html-boxes
> hidden in? I guess making the key a clickable link or replacing it
> with a 16x16 icon would be nice for users.

In ObjectTreeParser::writeSigstatHeader() (in objecttreeparser.cpp).

> > > - make key-creation dialog in kgpg a wizard that explains things
> > > (like "why it's good to upload the public key")
>
> Again I'm not sure if creating that inside libkleo or for kgpg is the
> way to go.

For now, doing it in kgpg is probably okay.

> > > - gpg-agent setup through wizard, either as part of a lib or kgpg
> > > (kmail needs gpg-agent for encrypting)
> >
> > How much setup is necessary? I think the only problem is that a
> > suitable gpg-agent.conf has to be added to ~/.gnupg and a simple
> > file containing the command line for starting gpg-agent has to be
> > added to ~/.kde/env.
>
> For a recent debian install one only has to enable gpg-agent in
> gnupg.conf.
>
> Btw, does gnupg have any tools to change things in gnupg.conf and
> gpg-agent.conf? gpgconf doesn't list parameters like
> "pinentry-program" or "use-agent" on my machine.

I don't know. Try to ask on gpa-dev@gnupg.org or gnupg-devel@gnupg.org
(not sure if I remember those addresses correctly)

> > > - hide all the hex-stuff (key hashes etc.) if possible
> > > (thunderbird for example uses icons in its mail-view instead of
> > > hex-values)
> >
> > I'm not sure how this would look. Please attach a mockup or a
> > screenshot of tb.
>
> Attached is a screenshot showing Thunderbird + Enigmail.
> I think having smaller sign/encrypt icons in the headers of these
> colored boxes around mail-parts could be nice. Clicking on the icon
> would then show detailed information, like the key used for signing
> or maybe more (again using the ui parts from above).

Additionally, more information could be shown in the tooltip using the
HTML parameter "title".

> > > - maybe make asking for passphrase an async process, right now
> > > kmail freezes while pinentry-qt asks for my passphrase (is this
> > > possible?)
> >
> > Yes, this should be done, but I don't know how easy/difficult it
> > is.
>
> If anybody knows about this, please enlighten me :)
> So far I only found a reason for the X11 keyboard-grab, it's meant to
> avoid typing the password into another window or being sniffed by
> another user having access to this X-session.
> I don't think the second argument still holds (usually X.Org installs
> do not listen on TCP anymore nor do they allow connections from other
> users by default) and for the first we have kwin focus-protection.
>
> If one could make a pinentry-kde out of pinentry-qt we could get rid
> of the grabbing but the freezing is still a problem then. I guess
> it's caused by some blocking call into gpg-libs (unfortunately the
> grab keeps me from using gdb to find the cause).

Unfortunately, I currently have no time to help you with this.

> > > - make messageboxes about missing keys more helpful, currently
> > > they tell you to open the account-settings if you don't have a
> > > key assigned but they don't allow you opening it right away
> >
> > Yeah, that's a pretty annoying bug. I think the problem is that we
> > currently can't open the configuration dialog with a specific page.
> > Or maybe we should open just the relevant account settings dialog?
>
> Account settings would be fine. All messages that I encountered so
> far refer to account settings anyway. Any hints on where such
> messages are to be found?

Probably in kmcomposewin.cpp. If not then simply grep the source files.

> > libkpgp was used in the past and is still used for dealing with
> > clearsigned messages (AFAIK). It should eventually be dropped
> > completely.
>
> Does clearsigned mean inline-pgp without mime?

Yes.

> To be honest, finding something in the multiple libkleo backends and
> having libkgpg complicates things quite a bit :)

I completely agree and I'd love to get rid of libkpgp asap.

> > > - can kmail/libkgpg drop the non-gpg-agent functionality for
> > > signing, I think it's VERY confusing that signing works but
> > > encryption does not unless gpg-agent is setup properly
> >
> > Yes, that's confusing. OTOH, we should rather make KMail
> > automatically start gpg-agent if it's not running and we should get
> > rid of the gpg-agent-less workaround code for signing.
>
> Exactly. Can one actually start gpg-agent if needed? AFAIK it has to
> add a global env-var (GPG_AGENT_INFO) for working properly (it's a
> path to some socket-file I think).

KMail could probably start gpg-agent, parse the output and set the
GPG_AGENT_INFO variable in it's own environment. I'm not sure whether
this would work.

> > > - why is the account-wizard only shown on first start? I'd like
> > > to add an option for key-creation/selection to it, would be way
> > > cooler if people could also use that for accounts created _after_
> > > first start
> >
> > Yes, the wizard should probably used for every account creation
> > (with an easy way to skip it and go to the normal config dialog).
>
> whom to ask about the current wizard? I'm not sure how much it
> depends on being displayed only on first-start.

IIRC then Tobias König wrote this wizard.

> Otherwise adding a
> simple "Add account..." in prefs-menu would already help and keep
> manual adding in its current place (i.e. prefs dialog).
>
> Of course these two ways of adding accounts would have to be unified
> later on but for now I prefer to keep my tasklist small.

I don't think it would be a good idea to make the Settings menu larger
by adding another option to it.

> > The certificate manager is nowadays called kleopatra and the gpg
> > log is kwatchgnupg (which I already mentioned above). Maybe those
> > two applications are not installed on your computer. BTW, kleopatra
> > and kgpg should ideally be merged in some way. Currently, kleopatra
> > is (mostly ?) restricted to S/MIME certificates.
>
> Yes, certmanager is not installed, libkleopatra is. kwatchgnupg
> should really be moved out there and only depend on libkleopatra at
> most (it only seems to use it for interfacing with gpgconf in a clean
> way).
>
> Merging kleopatra and kgpg indeed could solve things, we'd only have
> one central place for viewing all gpg keys in the system. I didn't
> have a look at kleopatra yet and I guess key-management will have to
> wait for now if I want to get things finished.
>

> Summary so far:
> -- libkleo --
>  ui to display gpg-keys
>  ui to create own key
>  ui to setup gpg system (i.e. agent and general config if needed)
> -- kmail --
>  allow to view sender-keys from mail-view
>  gpg and key setup from account wizard if needed
>

> Btw, I have no problem with improving and porting all this to KDE 4
> after my thesis is done but for now I have to focus on tasks that are
> realistic within the given timeframe.

Okay. Good luck for your thesis and don't hesitate to ask more questions
(though it might take me some time to answer).

Regards,
Ingo