List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Summer of Code: looking for possible works and mentors
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-05-02 22:14:06

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 21:06, Alejandro Exojo wrote:

> Since no mentor is listed in some of them, I'm writing here so maybe
> someone is interested in doing it, or in making any comments.

If there is a promising application for one of these projects we certainly
will find a mentor.

> 1. Whiteboard Kontact part
>
> This seems the cooler project, but also the most difficult one. Embedding
> Kolourpaint or other complete painting application, seems the way to go but
> AFAIK Kolourpaint is not a KPart, and depending in kdegraphics to compile
> kdepim doesn't sounds logical.
>
> The network communication also suggests reusing code, for example, from
> Kopete, extending it to support the JEP 0113. That would be great, because
> Kopete also has as a project a whiteboard (and the MSN protocol supports
> something like this). But this again raises an intermodule dependency.
> Moving Kopete to kdepim seems logic (there was already mentioned by the
> kopete developers, IIRC, and they also have some nice PIM integration), but
> I don't know if it's realistic to do so many changes just for a newbie
> project which results on optional functionality.

Have you seen the description at
http://pim.kde.org/development/qateam.php#newapps? It gives some more info
about the thoughts behind the whiteboard part.

> 2. KOrganizer theming
>
> This seems also a lot of fun. I *love* KOrganizer, and I'm using it a lot
> at the moment, so working on it would be a real pleasure. My only concern
> with this, is that is I don't know the KOrganizer internals, so I'm not
> sure what can be done and what not (and also, what can be usability-wise or
> not). So I have a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure what can I write in the
> application to attract google.

Well, first of all you have to attract us, the KDE PIM people, an not Google.
Try to make a realistic proposal. This project certainly would be a fun one,
but of course it would need to learn something about the KOrganizer
internals.

> 3. Blog support for Kontact
>
> This is also a nice idea. I blog regularly, and my blog is Drupal-based, so
> I can make use of the Blogger API. I'm also a big fan of markup languages,
> and working with XML will be good. It surprised me a bit seeing this posted
> in the wiki, because I thought there was someone working on this before the
> SOC appeared.

Work on this has stalled, so the SoC project would be to revive this.