List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Summer of Code: looking for possible works and mentors
From:       Alejandro Exojo <suy () kurly ! org>
Date:       2006-05-02 19:06:39

Hi.

I'm considering applying to the summer of code program. There are a lot of
ideas that I would like to work on (some of them of my own), but I think the
most reasonable ones are listed in the wiki and are from KDE PIM.

Since no mentor is listed in some of them, I'm writing here so maybe someone
is interested in doing it, or in making any comments.

1. Whiteboard Kontact part

This seems the cooler project, but also the most difficult one. Embedding
Kolourpaint or other complete painting application, seems the way to go but
AFAIK Kolourpaint is not a KPart, and depending in kdegraphics to compile
kdepim doesn't sounds logical.

The network communication also suggests reusing code, for example, from
Kopete, extending it to support the JEP 0113. That would be great, because
Kopete also has as a project a whiteboard (and the MSN protocol supports
something like this). But this again raises an intermodule dependency. Moving
Kopete to kdepim seems logic (there was already mentioned by the kopete
developers, IIRC, and they also have some nice PIM integration), but I don't
know if it's realistic to do so many changes just for a newbie project which
results on optional functionality.

2. KOrganizer theming

This seems also a lot of fun. I *love* KOrganizer, and I'm using it a lot at
the moment, so working on it would be a real pleasure. My only concern with
this, is that is I don't know the KOrganizer internals, so I'm not sure what
can be done and what not (and also, what can be usability-wise or not). So I
have a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure what can I write in the application
to attract google.

3. Blog support for Kontact

This is also a nice idea. I blog regularly, and my blog is Drupal-based, so I
can make use of the Blogger API. I'm also a big fan of markup languages, and
working with XML will be good. It surprised me a bit seeing this posted in
the wiki, because I thought there was someone working on this before the SOC
appeared.

4. Add support for categories and subfolders in KNotes

This is also encouraging, because actually KNotes is the only application that
haves a Kontact module, that I don't use inside Kontact. I don't feel
comfortable with the Kontact plugin, and certainly my notes collection is
growing too much (>30), so a bit of categorization would be useful. Also,
this one is the only which actually has a mentor (hi Michael :) ).

If you have any comments in any of the ideas, and especially if you want to be
a mentor, please write! :-)

About me: I'm 25, and study "Communications Engineering" (I don't know any
US/whatever equivalent) in Barcelona. I know C++, and for the final project
of my past studies, I did a small KDE application (which I am not very proud
of), but it gave me the chance to learn Qt/KDE 3. I don't consider myself a
good coder, but I lurk a lot of KDE mailinglists, so I know what's cooking
inside. ;-)

Thanks in advance.
Greetings.

--