List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KMail & GPG integration
From:       Stefan Gehn <mETz81 () web ! de>
Date:       2006-04-29 12:46:01

Moin,

I'm currently working on my bachelor thesis which is centered around usability
and security. For the practical part I'm planning to improve gpg-integration
in kmail.

Ideas so far (in no particular order and probably not detailed enough yet):

- use kgpg from kmail (could be implemented in libkgpgp, could as well be in a
lib of its own) for displaying key-information, creating keys for accounts
and more
- allow user to manually fetch missing keys from kmail (could use kgpg for
progress-gui and results)
- make key-creation dialog in kgpg a wizard that explains things (like "why
it's good to upload the public key")
- gpg-agent setup through wizard, either as part of a lib or kgpg (kmail needs
gpg-agent for encrypting)
- hide all the hex-stuff (key hashes etc.) if possible (thunderbird for
example uses icons in its mail-view instead of hex-values)
- maybe make asking for passphrase an async process, right now kmail freezes
while pinentry-qt asks for my passphrase (is this possible?)
- make messageboxes about missing keys more helpful, currently they tell you
to open the account-settings if you don't have a key assigned but they don't
allow you opening it right away

I have looked into kdepim apidocs and sources a bit but many things don't seem
to be documented or I couldn't find them in kdepim-sources yet.
Questions so far:

- what does kmail use libkgpg for, is that the only path to access gpg or are
there others?
- can kmail/libkgpg drop the non-gpg-agent functionality for signing, I think
it's VERY confusing that signing works but encryption does not unless
gpg-agent is setup properly
- why is the account-wizard only shown on first start? I'd like to add an
option for key-creation/selection to it, would be way cooler if people could
also use that for accounts created _after_ first start
- where do the certificate manager and gpg log menu-entries come from? Both
are disabled here, that looks confusing when gpg is actually working

I'm looking forward for any input on these ideas :)

Bye,
Stefan aka mETz