List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [POLICY] kdepimlibs
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2006-04-19 21:25:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 18:42, Allen Winter wrote:
> Let's write a sensible POLICY document that would live at the kdepimlibs
> toplevel.

The technical and licensing issues are already defined here:
http://developer.kde.org/policies/librarypolicy.html

> --- start POLICY here---
> kdepimlibs POLICIES.
>
> Purpose.  The kdepimlibs module exists to
>  1.
>  2.
>  3.
>
> Contents. The kdepimlibs will contain libraries only.  No applications will
> be permitted, except in the case of applications that pre-process metadata
> (like kxml_compiler??).  Typical PIM application source code must reside in
> the kdepim module.   Only libraries that would likely to be helpful to
> other non-PIM, or 3rd-party applications should be included here.

Rules to decide what gets in are important. Maybe we should follow the kdelibs
rules: Having two apps from diffrent modules that use it. Quite strict and of
course not usable to select the libs we want in there at the beginning, but
we don't want to create a general-purpose dump-your-stuff-here-lib like
libkdepim ;-) We won't be able to delete anything from pimlibs until KDE5.

> Licensing.  All source code within the kdepimlibs modules must have one of
> the following licenses: 1.
>  2.
>  3.
>
> Dependencies.  kdepimlibs code will depend on kdelibs.  No other external
> KDE dependencies are permitted.  kdepimlibs may depend on 3rd-party
> libraries and, of course, system libraries.  Dependencies on all external
> code must be checked and handled by the buildsystem appropriately.
>
> ...something about working with installed kdelibs from the distributions

ie. backward comapt to the latest stable kdelibs? IMHO something we should
consider once there is a released kdelibs and we see how strong the
dependency is and how many changes we need in kdelibs.
Most of the proposed content are non-gui libs which don't use too much kdelibs
stuff, so we can probably get along with a few #ifdef's instead.

> ...something about BIC
> ??

regards
Volker