List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KDE PIM 4 Roadmap
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-25 3:25:00

On Monday 23 January 2006 06:22, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> At the Osnabrueck 4 meeting we have discussed a roadmap for the
> Akonadi project [1] and came up with a draft. I have spelled out
> some more details and put the result at [2]. Due to the nature of
> Akonadi being the backend for the KDE PIM apps for KDE 4 it also
> constitutes a first idea of a roadmap for the kdepim module as a
> whole for KDE 4. I would like to use this as a start for discussing
> our roadmap for KDE PIM 4.
>
> The basic idea is as follows:
> - March/April 2006 KDE PIM Meeting (NL?): Prototypes of KDE API,
> Storage Access Protocol and Storage
> - May 2006 (Linuxtag?): Milestone 1 Release, Vertical Slice
> Prototype, Akonadi Demo Application
> - Q4 2006 (?): KDE PIM 4 Beta 1, Kontact and all other KDE PIM
> applications ported to Akonadi
> - Q2 2007 (?): KDE PIM 4 Final, first stable release of KDE PIM
> based on Akonadi
>
> More details can be found at [2].
>
> I would be interested in feedback and further input from you. What
> do you think about this roadmap? What are your personal plans? Do
> you have any further ideas or suggestions?
>
> I'm looking forward to a constructive discussion.
>
> [1] http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/
> [2] http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/roadmap.php

For KDE my priority is that I have a backlog of KMail bug reports and
some (happily non-critical) KMail issues for 3.5 that I would like to
look into. Just keeping up with the KDE mailing lists is time
consuming and currently my non KDE work is my focus and that is
taking up the bulk of my time.

Regarding KDE4 my interest is almost solely in porting code to (not
just compile but) run against Qt4 (and the KDE4 libraries). That's
what I'm doing in my non KDE work so at least I'm getting lots of
practice.

Regarding the roadmap I don't have much to say other than that I think
it's sensible to consider it a tentative road map that is subject to
change without notice.

BTW: I'm taking leave tomorrow and probably won't have access to the
net for a week.

Don Sanders.