List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Akonadi: A PIM Storage service
From:       Till Adam <adam () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-12 7:34:37

On Thursday 12 January 2006 05:02, Don Sanders wrote:

> I'm wondering how Akonadi fits in with the Qt 4 porting. Are Akondai
> folk and KDEPIMsters intending on getting Kontact/KDEPIM working with
> Qt 4 and KDE 4 and then porting to Akondai after that, or is the
> intent to go straight to porting to Akondai?

The later. Getting it working on Qt4 without Interview is well on its way, but
making use of Interview will result in rewrites of the current headers lists
and folder tree, at least. The more unified we can make data access for those
two before we do that, the more possible it becomes to actually get that done
in time. Akonadi helps with that, so I see little point in not going straight
for the real thing. On a strategic note, it's important that we make kdepim
hacking fun again, for us and others, since we'll not be able to get kdepim
4.0 done by ourselves and desperately need new developers. Akonadi allows us
to make the gui layer a lot more independent and simple, and will hopefully
make it possible again for non oldtimers to productively hack it. Also, a
clearly defined and thread safe storage layer will allow us to finally
address some of our most hated issues by making the use of worker threads for
lengthy operations possible.

Till