List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Microsoft Exchange Experience
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2005-11-01 12:22:55

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:38:36PM -0500, Chris Miller wrote:
> I have experience with Microsoft Exchange, and I am going to be
> switching back to *NIX very soon on my desktop. I would like to help
> development of the Exchange component for KDE PIM as much as I can. I
> wrote a web-based control panel in .NET to manage Microsoft Exchange
> objects (users, contacts, groups, etc. etc.), so I have a pretty good
> understanding of the "under the hood" workings of the beast. I would
> like to offer my help any way I can. Please let me know how I can help.

Great!  Many people want this, few have offered help.

Read through the exchange resource code (link in Andreas' email) then
come back with questions. People here understand the resource framework
well, but lack experience with exchange (or a test exchange server).

A quick overview--a resource provides a consistent API to all different
kinds of backends.  The pim apps deal with the resource API, not the
specific backend. For example, there is a resource for Yahoo!  Calendar,
various groupware packages as well as local iCalendar files.  So once
you get a resource working for exchange, the pim apps should just work.