List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] libkcal time zone handling
From:       "David Jarvie" <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-10-31 16:04:54

I have implemented revised time zone classes in kdelibs trunk, designed as a
basis for handling a wide range of time zone source data. (The previous time
zone classes were designed around system time zones, and weren't suitable
for adapting to access other sources of data.) I now want to develop derived
classes which we can use to implement proper time zone handling in libkcal.
The question is how much of the existing libical time zone code should be
retained, and how much should be ignored. Previously in this list, Reinhold
said that the libical conversion methods were too buggy to use. Does this
mean (a) just the actual conversion from one time zone to another is faulty,
or (b) the libical time zone functions in general just don't work reliably
and need to be completely replaced?

One particular issue which I see is that RFC2445 (section 4.2.19) states
that for every TZID in a time specification, there must be a corresponding
VTIMEZONE component in the calendar. I don't see how this squares with
having built-in time zones in libical. Or do other applications erroneously
use built-in time zones so that for inter-operability we have to use them
too?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.