List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] how do I create /dev/pilot ?
From:       "Pascal A. Niklaus" <Pascal.Niklaus () unibas ! ch>
Date:       2005-09-14 10:25:33

Hi all,

I am still struggling to get my Zire21 to sync. Because it sometimes showed up
as ttyUSB1 and sometimes as ttyUSB3, I resorted to setting a rule up for
udev:

gl143-65:/dev # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/10-visor.rules
BUS="usb", SYSFS{serial}="PalmSN12345678", NAME="pilot", MODE="666"

Now, everytime I press the hotsync button on my palm the device /dev/pilot is
created. However, I cannot "talk" to it, probably because I would have to
start the program before hitting "sync" on the pilot... However, at that
stage /dev/pilot does not yet exist.

gl143-65:/dev # dlpsh -p /dev/pilot

   The device /dev/pilot does not exist..
   Possible solution:

        mknod /dev/pilot c <major> <minor>

   Unable to bind to port: /dev/pilot
   Please use --help for more information

I think I first have to create /dev/pilot with mknod as indicated, but don't
know what major/minor numbers to use.

Any hint?

Pascal