List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] kmail separate reader window having previous/next
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-24 23:20:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 11:04, martin.p.bradley@bt.com wrote:
> In kmail mail can be opened in a separate window whenever it is
> double clicked.  I want to add two new buttons to the toolbar of the
> separate reader window.  These buttons are to change the contents of
> the separate window to the next/previous email in the current list of
> messages in the main window.  This feature has been on the wish list
> for a long time.
>

> So far I have added one new button to the tool bar.  It can be added
> to using the usual configure toolbar dialogue.  The button is
> connected to a slot in kmreaderwin.cpp called void
> KMReaderWin::moveToNextMessage().
>
> void KMReaderWin::moveToNextMessage() uses
> kmkernel->getKMMainWidget() to get mainWidget, a pointer to the main
> widget.  "mainWidget->headers() const" will give me a pointer to the
> header.

This can't work correctly from the separate reader window because the
user might have switched to another folder in the meantime. Fixing this
problem is extremely hard because of all the sorting and threading that
happens in kmheaders. You would have to create a fake kmheaders object
for each separate message window. Obviously this sucks. When switching
to KDE 4 this might become feasible by separating model and view, but
currently I don't see a nice way to implement this feature.

I won't comment on the rest of the message because your approach is
unfortunately fundamentally flawed.

Regards,
Ingo