List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Some random notes about KOrg Docs
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2005-06-29 12:32:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 14:10, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 June 2005 13:58, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 June 2005 07:57, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > > If it means to change a stable doc, then it is clearly: no! (Sorry!)
> >
> > We mean the development version only, don't we?

Yes, for now Carlos' patch is only about changing "to-do" => "task" in all
i18n'd strings in the code (dialogs, what's this, tooltips etc.).

Of course, sooner or later the help and the other documentation would also
need to be adjusted to replace to-do => task and sub-to-do => subtask.

> But then you would not have needed to ask kde-i18n-doc. (Perhaps you meant
> asking kde-doc-english.)

I simply wanted to ask the translators of the applications if its okay if we
change lots of i18n'ed strings and if that would mean a lot of extra effort
for the application translators.
kde-i18n-doc seemed like the only list where I could really reach translators
(sorry, but for an "outsider" it's quite confusing what all the *i18n* and
*doc* mailing lists are for). Is kde-doc-english for translators? We already
asked them if they thought if task was better than to-do and they agreeded...

> Sure, it would mean that the translators will have to re-check the
> translated documentation but that happens.

Actually, I doubt that the translation would be different. The changes are
merely replacing one english word by a more common and better-sounding
synonym in the english version. It's just that I don't want all translators
to have a lot of extra work due to this change. Thus my question if the i18n
tools are smart enough to keep the translation if the original string
changes.

Reinhold
email: reinhold@kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer / KPilot maintainer