List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: KDE 3.5 release plan.
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-29 3:38:05

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 07:47, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 03:01, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone point me to the discussion where it was decided that
> > kdepim would have a feature freeze on August 1?
>
> We discussed this at the KDE PIM meeting in the Netherlands and we
> came to the conclusion that we should start porting to Qt4 in
> Malaga because there many people who did already port some code (in
> particular kdelibs) will be available for answering any questions
> we might have.

I see.

> Once porting has started most of us will no longer
> want to spend time on fixing Qt3 code. The pragmatic solution we
> came up with (note, that this isn't a decision which is set in
> stone)

(Thanks for being understanding I appreciate that).

> is to finish development for KDE 3.5 before aKadamy.
> Obviously this implies that the feature freeze has to be some weeks
> before aKadamy.

Yes fair enough.

When I think about it I'm eager to see Qt4 porting commence, so
actually I'm fine with August 1.

> > It's a bit quick for me. I might make a standalone release of a
> > modified Kontact/KMail with client side imap filtering in this
> > case.
>
> I don't understand. Didn't you already commit your changes? At
> least the changes in the filter dialog are already in.

Yes I'm happy about that. I thought I had that change pretty well
debugged before it was committed but Carsten and Till found some
bugs.

I'm talking about supporting imap folders as destination of filters
which requires (something like) the action scheduler(1) (also as was
discussed earlier this should also make filtering, especially spam
filtering less blocking).

I have to update the code so that an action scheduler is associated
with each account, and so that for each action scheduler a hidden
(but permanent) folder is created (again as we discussed earlier).
Maybe this will take one day per account (that should be a
conservative estimate with a wide margin of safety).

I'll try to fix all the bugs I can find before sending a patch to the
list for review. But I would like to have a margin of safety of 6
weeks to debug this code after it has been committed and before it is
released. (Since as Carsten and Till have shown it seems prudent to
expect some debugging to required after I commit). Especially I could
do with help testing disconnected imap as I still don't use such an
account.

So I would like to get a patch ready by mid July. The problem is I'm
currently in a release cycle that finishes on July the 4th. And
things are getting busier and busier here at TT(2) so I'm finding it
a little difficult to find time. I aiming to get a patch ready by mid
to late July.

Don Sanders.
(1) I tried just using the KMMoveCommand in the filter manager to
support imap folders as destinations of filters but didn't get it to
work yet. So I might just give up on that and move on or rather back
to the action scheduler approach.
(2) My primary job is now working on messaging software for mobile
phones.