List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Some random notes about KOrg Docs
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2005-06-28 15:49:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 06:47, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> Here is some doubts I had while writing the docs. Since i am not sure what
> I am proposing is correct, I am posting here first.
>
> The "Access" drop down in the General tab of the "Edit Event" or "Edit
> To-do" dialog:
>
> Old text:
> <guilabel>Confidential</guilabel> to keep the event or to-do task private
> or confidential. Currently, this choice has no real effect. However, when
> group scheduling features of &korganizer; are completed, private and
> confidential events will only be visible to you. This option may also have
> an effect when the calendar file is loaded in another calendar
> understanding the vCalendar format.</para>
>
> Proposed Text:
> <guilabel>Confidential</guilabel> to keep the event private or
> confidential. Currently, this choice  correctly sets the  &quot;CLASS&quot;
> attribute of the events or to-do tasks to &quot;PUBLIC&quot;,
> &quot;PRIVATE&quot; or &quot;CONFIDENTIAL&quot;. However, if these settings
> are really used to restrict the access of the information depends on the
> client and / or groupware server implementation.</para>
> calendar items owned by other people and marked as confidential. Other
> clients may treat them differently, but be careful when publishing private
> or confidential events: vCalendar and iCalendar are text files, and can be
> read with any text editor (if someone has read access to them). So if you
> want to keep calendar items really confidential, make sure you use a
> resource that only you can access.</warning></para>

Sounds okay to me.

> About the find (search) action I was puzzled by this:
>
> <tip><para>You can use wildcards if you do not remember the exact summary.
> If you don't know single character of the summary, put
> <userinput>?</userinput> instead of the missing character. If you don't
> know more characters, use <userinput>*</userinput>. For instance if you
> know that the event or tasks has <emphasis>work</emphasis> in the middle,
> you would write
> <userinput>*work*</userinput> in the Find dialog. &korganizer; will locate
> and similar. Letter case is ignored.</para></tip>
>
> My question:
> <userinput>work</userinput> seems to do the same as
> <userinput>*work*</userinput> to me, so this passage does not make sense.
> Am I missing something?

Ah, yes, that paragraph doesn't make sense at all. * is always assumed at the
beginning and end of the search string. Inside the string it can be useful,
though. E.g. "w*k" will find "working", "Homework", "Asiawok", etc.

> - Marcus Bains line: can I replace it with "current time line"?

Yes.

> Is there a reason for this name? Is there a reason for the user to know
> who Marcus Bains is?

It's named like this because the original implementor of that feature called
it like this. Rumors have it that it's named after a person the author met in
a pub when he was drunk:
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KOrganiser+Talk

> - What's Next View: shouldn't it automatically start in the current day
> (and only then let the user browse freely)? Isn't it strange to go to
> what's next and then show events that will happen in one month, or one year
> ago?

That would probably the best solution. We want flexibility (i.e. also be able
to show the "what's next" view for a different day than today), but also
user-friendliness (mostlyl you want it for today).

> - Month view: heh, I collected some points, but since this view is being
> replaced...

I don't think Lutz' month view is so much different. It has several raw edges
smoothed out, but nothing that would make it dramatically different from the
current one.

> - The event viewer sidebar should be renamed to incidence viewer, or
> calendar item viewer? Also, journals are not mentioned in some parts of the
> UI, were they should.

For example?

Reinhold
email: reinhold@kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/