List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] I want to get involved into the KDE-PIM project
From:       Armin Bauer <armin.bauer () desscon ! com>
Date:       2005-06-28 13:32:13

Tobias Koenig wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 03:33:19PM +0200, Simone Gotti wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>

>Hi all,
>

>>There was a talk on this ML 2 weeks ago about starting using freedesktop
>>opensync project for kde, but I don't know if a final decision was reached.
>>

>Ok, maybe this is the time to give some more information about the
>OpenSync issue.
>
>On thursday Cornelius, Holger, Armin Bauer (the OpenSync
>maintainer/developer) and me had a meeting at the LinuxTag in Karlsruhe.
>We discussed all the open issues and evaluated all pros and cons.
>At the end there was a common consensus to give OpenSync and KDE a try.
>
>We'll have a small developer meeting (no date yet) to implement a more
>or less advanced prototype and afterwards we'll finally decide whether
>to switch to OpenSync or not (but from my personal point of view I'd
>like to see this switch).

Hi everyone,

i guess its time to introduce myself a bit more since we are going to
work together now :)

im the main developer of the opensync project. Im 23 years old and
studying electrical engineering at the Techincal University of Munich.

I became involved in the development of the multisync project and became
the main maintainer of this project at some point. But there where a lot
of architecural limitations, so i decided to implement a completly new
synchronization framework: OpenSync.

The goals of OpenSync are to implement a completly generic, platform and
distribution independent synchronization framework that people can embed
where synchronization is needed so that they dont have to maintain their
own synchronization code but leave this ugly part to the opensync project :)
The idea is that projects who want to synchronize just maintain their
plugins/guis that can be used together with opensync thus relieving them
of a lot of code to maintain.

The other problem opensync wants to address is the increasing number and
complexity of available sources to synchronize. There are so many
applications, devices and protocols that can be used to synchronized
that it would be absolutely impossible to develop and maintain all these
plugins and formats etc in a single project (and you have to keep track
of the development of all these devices as well). This problem leads to
a lot of isolated applications that are often only capable of doing a
specific taks (KPilot for example, which is really great for
synchronizing KDE with a Palm device but cannot synchronize other
applications or protocols). Thats why i think it is much better if we
have a single synchronization framework that defines a interface for
plugins. These plugins would then be provided by the people that have
the knowledge of the applications/devices and keep track of their
development cycles.

I think the most important success factor to this model (besides a good
quality of the framework of course) is that the synchronization
framework has to be established as a standard so people use it,
otherwise it would just be another isolated application.

For more information about the opensync project please take a look at
http://www.opensync.org
and especially at the the documentation at
http://www.opensync.org/wiki/doc

So as a summary:

If we work together, im sure we can solve the current problems with
synchronization (which are btw not only limited to linux) and achieve
something that helps our users by giving them a great synchronization
solution as well as the developers by relieving them of coding work.

Im really looking forward to work together with the KDE project!

Armin