List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] IMAP namespaces
From:       Carsten Burghardt <burghardt () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-15 10:46:25

Am Sonntag, 15. Mai 2005 11:59 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> On Sunday 15 May 2005 01:11, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2005 23:14 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> > > See, I _had_ a Folder Prefix set for my IMAP folders: Mail/ ; it even
> > > says so in the config file:
> > >
> > > prefix=/Mail/
> >
> > There is no reliable way to transport this prefix from the old config to
> > the new namespace based config as the server can support more than one
> > personal namespace. Therefore I do not know what namespace should be
> > mapped to this prefix.
>
> OK .. but then this change needs to be shepherded _really_ carefully, since
> the effect was:
>
> 1) Upgrade KMail
> 2) Get 100MB of junk all of a sudden in folders
> 3) Lose old setting of prefix
> 4) Have to find setting in config dialog, guess new setting, remove
> additional namespaces
> 5) Try cleaning up folder display in IMAP and lose 100MB of data
>

> I realize this will surely improve between now and whatever next release
> there is, but it's best to be forewarned.

I have to problem to improve this (hey, of course not) but the question is:
how? Hmm, perhaps a warning would be good when kmail is launched and detects
and old, non empty prefix in the config.

> > Then you have an UW-imap server which supports a whole list of namespaces
> > and all those show up. And if you have folders that reside under "#ftp"
> > they will show up in the foldertree under a folder "#ftp". If the
> > namespace is empty it will be ignored.
>
> Yeah. I still don't know what they're _for_, though, and since the
> instructions I have from the IMAP admin are: "set IMAP prefix Mail in your
> client", I suspect that IMAP namespace support isn't widespread amongst
> mail clients yet. Messing around with deleting namespaces and accounts led
> to (5) above.

That's not right - kmail was the only mua (AFAIK) that did not support
namespaces yet. The prefix was a bad workaround and you had no chance to see
your folders, shared folders and folders of users that you are allowed to see
(other users) in one account.

> > be created underneath it with the next listing. If you do not want this
> > but want them to show up in your toplevel (under the account folder)
> > you'll have to delete the account, create it again, edit the namespace
> > (to Mail) and start a new listing. Then your personal folders will be
> > created in your toplevel. I have the same config here so it works
> > definitely ;-)
>
> Yeah, I ended up deleting all my IMAP accounts, creating new ones and
> immediately removing all namespaces from the list and setting just Personal
> -> "Mail" ; I'm deathly afread to go near the account config dialog now
> because it might re-introduce the namespaces again.

No, it doesn't overwrite your changes unless you press the reload button _and_
save the account data.