List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] IMAP namespaces
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-15 9:59:40

On Sunday 15 May 2005 01:11, Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2005 23:14 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> > See, I _had_ a Folder Prefix set for my IMAP folders: Mail/ ; it even
> > says so in the config file:
> >
> > prefix=/Mail/
>
> There is no reliable way to transport this prefix from the old config to
> the new namespace based config as the server can support more than one
> personal namespace. Therefore I do not know what namespace should be mapped
> to this prefix.

OK .. but then this change needs to be shepherded _really_ carefully, since
the effect was:

1) Upgrade KMail
2) Get 100MB of junk all of a sudden in folders
3) Lose old setting of prefix
4) Have to find setting in config dialog, guess new setting, remove additional
namespaces
5) Try cleaning up folder display in IMAP and lose 100MB of data

I realize this will surely improve between now and whatever next release there
is, but it's best to be forewarned.

> Then you have an UW-imap server which supports a whole list of namespaces
> and all those show up. And if you have folders that reside under "#ftp"
> they will show up in the foldertree under a folder "#ftp". If the namespace
> is empty it will be ignored.

Yeah. I still don't know what they're _for_, though, and since the
instructions I have from the IMAP admin are: "set IMAP prefix Mail in your
client", I suspect that IMAP namespace support isn't widespread amongst mail
clients yet. Messing around with deleting namespaces and accounts led to (5)
above.

> be created underneath it with the next listing. If you do not want this but
> want them to show up in your toplevel (under the account folder) you'll
> have to delete the account, create it again, edit the namespace (to Mail)
> and start a new listing. Then your personal folders will be created in your
> toplevel. I have the same config here so it works definitely ;-)

Yeah, I ended up deleting all my IMAP accounts, creating new ones and
immediately removing all namespaces from the list and setting just Personal
-> "Mail" ; I'm deathly afread to go near the account config dialog now
because it might re-introduce the namespaces again.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot