List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kpilot not syncing
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-31 21:46:14

On Monday 28 March 2005 21:51, Jad Naous wrote:
> On March 28, 2005 08:15 am, you wrote:
> > On Monday 28 March 2005 08:41, Jad Naous wrote:
> > > I'm using Kpilot 4.50 compiled on gentoo. I'm also using udev. But I've
> > > set the owner of the USB devices as my username just in case. Now the
> > > problem s when I run kpilot as root, and I sync, everything runs
> > > normally. When I run it as the user, it says it can't execute some
> > > conduits. Can you please tell me if it's something wrong I've done?
> > > Here's the log I get:
> >
> > It might be useful to have a copy of KPilot compiled with debugging
> > information (run kpilot --debug 1 to see if you've got one), that would
> > give some more output on the console to look at. Most of the messages
>
> The permissions are set correctly in those files. and I'm using kde 3.4, i
> ran knotes and synced (full sync) again, with debugging, but it only synced
> the new notes on the palm (not for example the memos that come builtin with
> the device: How to use graffiti, blah, blah,...)

That's a separate issue, related to how KPilot gets very confused sometimes
about what is going on.

> The addressbook, and the
> calendar and the mail are all still giving the same message as before. I
> tried syncing the addressbook and the calendar to another file rather than
> the standard stuff... didn't work either.

Didn't work as in it gave the same "Conduit Addressbook could not be executed"
message?

> Here's another funny thing: I tried to sync with jpilot, it said that the
> handheld had no valid user id, so I restored it using jpilot, setting the
> user id to 1 and the user name to mine, and everything synced (well
> everything in jpilot was empty, so basically my device is empty now). So I
> tried to sync after this with kpilot, and it said that there is no valid
> user name on the device.

It might have been broken in 4.4.7, but if you set the username with jpilot
then kpilot should at least have found that changed name.

> I did a Hotsync first and nothing happened so I did a fullsync Here's the
> debug log with --debug 1:

Unfortunately the really interesting stuff comes from the daemon -- sorry, I
should have said so earlier. Stop the daemon. Run it from a konsole with
--debug 1, then do a hotsync (the kpilot application itself really isn't
needed, it's just a clumsy viewer).

The trace does show totally whacked out categories, that's for sure.

You know, this looks like a hard problem to track down, since your system is
behaving totally different from what I expect -- or what I see locally. And I
really don't have much time to help figure out what's going on, so you are
very much left to your own ingenuity on this one.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot