List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [UPDATE] libical 0.24
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-27 22:04:32

On Sunday 27 March 2005 03:59 pm, Lutz Rogowski wrote:
> Allen Winter wrote:

> >>I will attempt to integrate the new (circa 2002) libical into kdepim/libkcal/libical-0.24.
> >>If that works I will commit the new libical and we can use it and see how it goes.
> >>At some point we'll need to decide if we should remove the old libical, and how
> >>to deal with local patches that didn't make it into libical-0.24.
> >>

> > So far I have libical-0.24 compiling and installing the "KDE way"  with KDE Makefile.am's .
> > I tried to build libkcal with the new libical and there are a bunch of changes that are needed
> > and I have no idea yet how to make them .. there is no transition guide for the new libical API.
> > Anyone willing to help me with this?? Please?
>

> I have done some changes to the new API in KDE-PIM/Pi already.
> Please download the sources from
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=104103&package_id=112604
>
> The code in
>
> kdepim/libkcal/icalformatimpl.cpp
>
> is using the new API of 0.24.

I see a few differences between your libical-0.24 and mine.  Is that because one of our versions
is newer or because you made local changes?   I picked up the RC4 version from sourceforge.
Do you have code newer than that?

> You will find no examples using the time conversion of libical, because I
> implemented my own
> (  platform independent ) timezone handling in KDE-PIM/Pi.
>
> The disadvantage of my solution that it does know only information of one user
> specified timezone.
> The advantage of my solution is, that iCal loading / saving is much (up to 3
> times)  faster.
> (compared to the lical version currently used in KDE).
>
> And on the Zaurus is counts, if you need 3 seconds or 9 seconds for loading the
> data ...

Yes, well timezone handling is one area we are going to differ in.

> If you have more questions - please ask!

I certainly will.  I haven't looked that closely at icalformatimpl.cpp but since you have
a fork it will be more difficult to find the changes needed for libical-0.24.

Thanks,
Allen
--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE