List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC] KRES::Resource class for KDE 4.0
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-21 17:18:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:26:07AM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Saturday 19 March 2005 16:48, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hi Cornelius,

> An alternative might be to delay the actual call of the do* functions and
> immediate error reporting until the code has returned to the event loop. So
> we wouldn't need the emit* functions but still could make sure that the
> signals aren't emitted during the load/save/open/close calls.
That's corrected now, like discussed on irc. Thanks for the idea!

> What about the identifier,
This is an interesting topic. In libkabc and I guess also in libkcal
exists classes which need an unique id.
So what do you think about an UniqueObject class (is the name ok?) that
can act as base class for all these classes?
It just has the methods

  void setUid( const QString& )
  QString uid() const

and uses QUuid for a real unique id.

> name, type, read-only information? This belongs to
> the Resource class even if we do the config handling externally.
Yes of course, will add it and resend the source for a review then.

> The active state should be handled externally, in my opinion, as it would make
> it possible to have different active (or other) states of the same resources
> for different applications.
Sounds ok.

> Another problem we might want to address is the semantics of open/close in
> relation to load/save. This isn't too well-defined right now. How is open
> actually used?
IMHO this differences are needed to provide a clean API for resources
that access servers. Most protocols know an open/close load/save state,
so that fits well.

Of course we should extend the API docu and write a
HOWTO.implement_resources.

> In practice I experienced more problems than benefit from
> having separate calls for open and load.
So what for example?

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Councile of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!