List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: kdepim/kmail
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-22 0:12:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 20 December 2004 07:55, Don Sanders wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 08:02, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > Hasn't there been a decision to go with 3.3 compatibility?
> > > Although I haven't seen any distributor offering newer PIM
> > > packages for an older KDE, I'm still for it because IMHO it's
> > > handy in the development.
> >
> > The point is that it doesn't affect development because it doesn't
> > affect building kdepim HEAD on top of KDE 3.3. It only affects the
> > installation of binary packages. But even if somebody would build
> > binary packages for kdepim he'd better build separate packages for
> > KDE 3.3 and KDE 3.4. And then the packager could easily omit the
> > above file in the package for KDE 3.3.
>
> I don't really understand why this change will create a package
> conflict if someone tires to install KDEPIM 3.4 on KDE 3.3.

Because crsc-app-kmail.svgz will be installed in the same spot the file
is installed in by kdebase-3.3 (namely
$KDEDIR/share/icons/crystalsvg/scalable/apps/kmail.svgz). Thus you'll
have two packages, kdepim-3.4 and kdebase-3.3, which both install the
same file in the same location. That's a package conflict and for
example rpm will refuse to install the second RPM unless you force rpm
to install the package despite of the conflict (which isn't really a
good idea).

Regards,
Ingo