List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Non-unique UIDs
From:       André_Somers <a.t.somers () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2004-09-26 7:21:05

On Sunday 26 September 2004 01:48, Jan de Visser wrote:
> On September 25, 2004 07:03 pm, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > Please note that I'm not paranoid (I hope this mail doesn't sound like I
> > am), but I really want to ensure that korganizer doesn't introduce any
> > privacy issues.
>
> I think in this case you're concerns here are a tad on the paranoid side.
> To wit:
> 1. IP address. It is real easy to give yourself another IP address.
> Therefore the fact that a certain IP address appears in the GUID means just
> that, but no other conclusions can be drawn from that.
In a corporate environment, you probably can't change the IP address.
Furthermore, you can't expect people to change their IP because they want to
protect their privacy. Sure, the information will not be 100% reliable, but I
think in most cases, it will be pretty good.
> 2. Time. Even worse. I regularly get mail from people that make more than
> me and have longer jobtitles from either 1969 or something like 2007. Times
> on a client machine don't mean a thing, so when you get your ass dragged
> into court all you have to do is claim that the time on your machine was
> off. Nobody can prove it wasn't.
Again: of course people are having wrong times on their machines, but that
does not mean that the majority of users do.

So, while the information gathered from this probably won't stand up in court,
it would in most cases be pretty reliable I think.

> That said, I applaud your concern for privacy and security.
As do I.

Regards,

André
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant