List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Non-unique UIDs
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-09-24 12:40:52

Zitiere Szombathelyi György <gyurco@freemail.hu>:

> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> >>Currently, KOrganizer has a very basic assumption that an event must
> have
> >>a unique UID.
> >

> > Yes, UIDs have to be *globally* unique, i.e. across all computers and
> users.
> >

> I don't know if it's applicable, but using GUIDs (which are used
> everywhere on Windows) can not solve the problem?

What are GUIDs?

> As I see the ical specs doesn't enforce a too strict rule for the format
> of the UIDs, and also has some hints for creating unique UIDs:

Yes, I know, only korganizer currently uses it's own system, which is not
guarenteed to be globally unique. Actually, I have some privacy concerns using
the IP or hostname of an event, as this can be used to locate a person (and
even his/her movements if different computers are used). Even the creation time
of an event is problematic. It kind of reminds me of MS Word's change tracker,
where you can see past versions, which has more than once come to haunt the
author.

But that's not even the issue of the problem. The actual problem here is that
we have the same event twice (once in the secretary's calendar, and once in the
bosses calendar), so the two events are supposed to have the same UID. I simply
don't have any idea how to handle this situation properly.

Reinhold