List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Non-unique UIDs
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-09-24 12:07:07

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>>Currently, KOrganizer has a very basic assumption that an event must have
>>a unique UID.
>

> Yes, UIDs have to be *globally* unique, i.e. across all computers and users.

I don't know if it's applicable, but using GUIDs (which are used
everywhere on Windows)
can not solve the problem?

As I see the ical specs doesn't enforce a too strict rule for the format
of the UIDs, and also has some hints for creating unique UIDs:
http://www.kanzaki.com/docs/ical/uid.html

Bye,
György