List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] ical handling library
From:       Dan Winship <danw () novell ! com>
Date:       2004-08-30 19:40:30

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 15:20 +0200, Helge Hess wrote:
> I'm taking Dan Winship from the Evolution team into CC assuming that he
> knows more about the Evolution position regarding that library.

I forwarded your message to JP and am CCing him on this since he's in
charge of evolution, but I think our answer is "we're planning to drop
libical, but if we change our minds, count us in".

The reasons we were planning to drop libical:

      * libical is unmaintained
      * libical API is warty (eg, pool of temporary strings rather than
        returning actual const or allocated strings)
      * we want an API that we can easily generate language bindings for
        so you can work with evolution data from C#/Python/etc apps

Forking and maintaining libical would deal with the first problem, and
maybe eventually the second problem, but not so much the third problem.
(Our plan was to do something GObject-based, to use the existing GNOME
bindings-generating machinery, like we already do for EVCard.)

(Evolution also already has a lot of duplicate calendar functionality
code already, from when we were using libversit+vcalendar rather than
libical+icalendar. So dropping libical wouldn't be as much work for us
as it might be for some other projects.)

-- Dan