List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Getting LDAP to work from a Microsoft Active Directory
From:       Birger Kollstrand <twsbk () teleca ! no>
Date:       2004-08-30 10:38:48

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. It did not help me unfortunately. I still can't get
any addresses from the LDAP source. Now I am only using the KDE Controll
centre setting. (which I must at that one can use user/password login)

On my other laptop I'm still running SuSE 9.0 with KDE 3.1 and as far as I can
see they are equally set up. On the KDE 3.1 box, everything works as normal,
but on the KDE 3.2 I only get the recent addresses used.

Is there any way I can check that the ldapkio resource is working other that
KMail?

Is there any way I can "trace" what is going on when I write a new address in
the address field to see if KMail ties to use the ldapkio resource?

regards birger.....

Friday 27 August 2004 15:16, skrev Szombathelyi György:
> Birger Kollstrand wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been browsing the lists and the web to find information on the
> > LDAP setup in KDE and I'm still confused.
> >
> > Earlier when we ran on KDE 3.1 we set up the LDAP connection to the
> > Active Directory server in the Control Panel and it worked well.
> >
> > Now I have upgraded to KDE 3.2 (in SuSE Pro 9.1) and found the new
> > setting in "KDE Resource Configuration" chose "conntact" and set up the
> > LDAP server there. It is set up exactly as we did in KDE 3.1, but I can
> > not set it as a default resource due to that it is not writeable. I don't
> > know if this is correct or not.
>
> The LDAP resource is writeable only in KDE 3.3, any versions before 3.3
> has read-only LDAP.
>
> > When I now start Kontact or Kmail direclty I do not get addresses from
> > the LDAP server as I used to. I'm also a bit confused about the LDAP
> > settings that are included directly in the KAdressBook application as
> > that has a different setting than the one in the control panel? Should
> > not all K applications get their data from the same source?
>
> Yes, this is a bit confusing, the LDAP resource settings are totally
> independent from what you set up in KAddressBook. This will be resolved
> in a future version, however I cannot tell you when.
> Now, if you don't have a lot of LDAP entries (>2-3 thousands), use the
> LDAP resource, otherwise use only the KAddressBook LDAP access.
> If you use the KAddressBook way, you will not see the users in the list
> boxes, but the address autocompletion will work.
>
> Bye,
> György

Birger Kollstrand
Senior Engineer