List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Getting LDAP to work from a Microsoft Active Directory
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-08-27 13:16:07

Birger Kollstrand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been browsing the lists and the web to find information on the LDAP
> setup in KDE and I'm still confused.
>
> Earlier when we ran on KDE 3.1 we set up the LDAP connection to the Active
> Directory server in the Control Panel and it worked well.
>
> Now I have upgraded to KDE 3.2 (in SuSE Pro 9.1) and found the new setting in
> "KDE Resource Configuration" chose "conntact" and set up the LDAP server
> there. It is set up exactly as we did in KDE 3.1, but I can not set it as a
> default resource due to that it is not writeable. I don't know if this is
> correct or not.

The LDAP resource is writeable only in KDE 3.3, any versions before 3.3
has read-only LDAP.

> When I now start Kontact or Kmail direclty I do not get addresses from the
> LDAP server as I used to. I'm also a bit confused about the LDAP settings
> that are included directly in the KAdressBook application as that has a
> different setting than the one in the control panel? Should not all K
> applications get their data from the same source?

Yes, this is a bit confusing, the LDAP resource settings are totally
independent from what you set up in KAddressBook. This will be resolved
in a future version, however I cannot tell you when.
Now, if you don't have a lot of LDAP entries (>2-3 thousands), use the
LDAP resource, otherwise use only the KAddressBook LDAP access.
If you use the KAddressBook way, you will not see the users in the list
boxes, but the address autocompletion will work.

Bye,
György