List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kolab bugfix: Allow completion of names even if last
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2004-08-11 23:31:40

On Thursday 12 August 2004 01:24, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2004 00:26, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 August 2004 00:15, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > Instead of adding duplicates to the completion list the code which
> > > looks for valid completions should be changed to not only find
> > > addresses that start with the already entered characters, but to
> > > find addresses which contain a word which starts with the
> > > characters. Then we would complete by first name, by last name, by
> > > email address and by the domain part of email addresses.
> >
> > This would be horribly slow though - KCompletion is designed around
> > "completing entries _starting_ with the typed string", it has a tree
> > of characters to make that fast. Not using that would mean doing the
> > matching by hand, by comparing those 4 versions of each entry (first
> > name, last name, etc.) with the typed string...
>
> There's not really a problem with making completion by begin of word
> instead of by begin of line as fast. Only the calculation of the tree
> would be a bit slower.

I see your point, but this would require KCompletion API additions, right?
(a new method that would work the way you describe), so it's not an option
for kdepim for some time...

KHZ's patch is a shorter-term solution (needed for proko2, but if it's judged
too dirty for HEAD or branch, it can be branched instead).

--
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer