List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Sync Problem
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2004-07-09 11:41:23

On Friday 09 July 2004 11:17, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, George Mundstock wrote:
> >        I am running SUSE 9.1 on a Dell Dimension 4100.  My pda is a Palm
> > Tungsten E, syncing through a USB port.  I started Kpilot and it synced
> > perfectly the first time.  Now, it won't sync.  I did install a usb
>
> Have you looked at the troubleshooting FAQ on kpilot.org? Basically, the
> thing to figure out is whether the USB connection is still working at all
> (/var/log/messages should tell you) and which device name is being
> assigned to your Pilot (probably /dev/ttyUSB1).

I've been meaning to ask about this - why is it that kpilot doesn't just
monitor the USB connections and see when a palm pilot device is attached to
it? The Linux (and probably other OSes) way with the user choosing the USB
port is IMHO completely broken. It gets even worse when you have several
machines, and use different USB devices for them.

I really think it sucks that I have to attach my USB devices to the same ports
for them to work. If KPilot could work around this issue, that would be
really great.

What I'd want is that I should only choose USB connection for my device, and
KPilot would look for all connections to find the device when I plug it in.
No matter which port I would attach it to. A side effect would be that this
actually works better for the sync on my T3, since this only registers the
USB connection during syncing, and KPilot isn't thrilled about this.

/me opens a wish in bugzilla.

Bo.

     Klaralvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark