List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Korganizer Anniversary import?
From:       Eugene Nine <enine () ninefamily ! com>
Date:       2004-02-11 18:13:25

Ahh, back home in Kmail much better.  I wanted to reply to the list (replied
only to Tobias before by mistake) in case others have input.  See in line...

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 03:03 pm, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 06:04:29AM -0800, enine wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 February 2004 11:49 am, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>
> Hi Eugene,
>
> > Ok, I applied your patch and it imports the anniversaries fine,
> > however I do get duplicates.
>
> Hmm, right...
>
> > My thought was to create an array the length of the # of address book
> > records. Then each time through the loop look for the found anniversary
> > in that array and if its not found add it, if it is found then its a
> > duplicate and discard it. When finished then import everything from the
> > array.
>
> How do you decide if the anniversary is already included?
> When the one contact contains the name of you wife and the other your
> name, how shall the plugin know that you belong together and the
> anniversary should be merged to one?

My plan was to check the spouse field in each record of the address file.  In
my record I have my wife's name as a spouse and in my wife's record I have my
name listed as a spouse.  I figured I would check either against the rest of
the address book for spouse listings and eliminate them that way.  I think to
a user filling in the spouse field would be more intuitive than remembering
to leave one anniversary field blank and if one anniversary field is left
blank it won't get a duplicate anyway.

I wanted to see if anyone thinks it would be worth it for file a wish for
kaddressbook to use a kmail type lookup for the spouse, manager and assistant
fields.  Basically make the labels for those fields buttons which bring up
address selection just like the ... button in kmail and also make the
autocomplete work the same way when typing a name in the field.  This way (to
use my wife as an example) I won't get a duplicate if I type Shirley
Grey-Nine in the spouse field but her vcard record has her as Shirley A.
Grey-Nine.

> > So my question is why did you patch the resourcekabc instead of in the
> > birthdays plugin
>
> Hmm, because the resourcekabc is the birthday plugin? ;)

I thought the birthday plugin code was in birthday.cpp
under /korganizer/plugins/birthdays :)

> > and where would be the appripritae location to check for duplicates?
>
> See the attached patch, it checks if the summary is the same and doesn't
> apply the anniversary twice then...
>
> Ciao,
> Tobias
Oops, didn't see that until I got all the way down here in the reply.  Where
do you pull the summary field from?  Oh well, I'll send my message still
anyway, wanted to see what you thought of the kaddressbook changes I
suggested.

Eugene