List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] PATCH, RFC: Korganizer and timezones (bug 68345)
From:       Shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2003-12-16 21:57:25

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

> At this point, you could probably take over maintenance of libical
> and no-one would notice.  The project seems pretty dead.  Makes me
> wonder if the Evolution folks just maintain their own branch.

Well, given that the pieces we use seem to be stable, that might work even
though I'm a bit short on time for Open Source these days.

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> As far as I know, they are thinking about replacing libical by something
> simpler.
>
> At some point in the near future we have to seriously think about what
> to do about libical. It's an important library and it's good that it is
> also used by Evolution and Mozilla calendar. If we only could inject
> some life into it...

An admirable sentiment, but I suspect Mark is right - and I have no desire to
repeat the mistake of stopping work on the Word filter because we were going
to cooperate with an external group to share code: Exchange interoperation is
even more important to me than Word.

FWIW, I suspect I will basically delete all the high level ("semantic")
routines: we don't use them and when I have tried, they seemed very hard to
understand/debug even though I count myself as not especially prone to NIH
syndrome.

The low level routines don't seem too bad, and once the headers are
straightened out, we should be able to see the wood for the trees and fix
them if needed.

But all that's for later. For now, I'll try to sort out
timezones-for-all-dates.

Thanks, Shaheed