List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: Re: Re: Sony Clie PEG-SL10/U
From:       Derek Broughton <dbroughton () lincsat ! com>
Date:       2003-10-30 19:57:14

From: "Matej Cepl" <cepl@surfbest.net>

> Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > Yay, one down, one to go. Could some Linux user give me a blurb
> > about char-alias wombatry and stuff for the KPilot site?
>
> The best document I could find is the attached one. Frankly, I am
> wrestling with the question what the bloody char-major lines are
> for too. I found some explanation here
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/1996/debian-user-199609/msg00335.html,
> here
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#char-major-10-135,
> and here http://groups.google.com/groups?&th=6b7890ff587f1af2,
> which lead finally lead me to the devices.txt files attached to
> this message. Hopefully, you will be able to sort it out better
> than myself.

What alias you were talking about.  Is this the "alias char-major-188 visor"
that I suggested to Herbert?  If so, it really shouldn't be necessary.  What
happens in kPilot is that it polls char-major-188 frequently, so I aliased it to
visor simply to stop the syslog messages. What that does is, the first time
kPilot polls it force loads the visor module.

I never had an error - once the hot sync button was pushed hotplug loads the
visor module.  My last guess for the cause of your problem was wrong, so I'll
try another - what version of hotplug do you have?