List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPilot 4.3.3, RedHat 8.0, Visor USB, can't connect
From:       Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson () CatchFS ! Com>
Date:       2003-08-27 15:54:11

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 04:56 am, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2003 19:19, Ross Patterson wrote:
> > I upgraded KPilot to 4.3.3 as part of
>
> Ick. 4.3.3? Please, please, upgrade to 4.3.9.

I'll give that a try, although I generally frown on replacing individual KDE
components because of how tightly they're interdependent.

> > KPilot's hotsync even works if I start KPilot by right-clicking on the
> > system-tray icon *after* starting kpilotDaemon from the command line.
> > But if I start KPilot from the KDE menu or by running "kpilot", I can't
>
> That's weird, since KPilot is supposed to start the daemon itself if the
> daemon isn't running. If you just run KPilot, do you get the daemon icon in
> the systray?

No, I don't.  And there's no "kpilotDaemon" process created either.  In fact,
the last bit of debugging output from kpilot is:

	startDaemonIfNeeded                                 (kpilot.cc:213)
	startDaemonIfNeeded: Daemon status is

and then nothing at all.  It looks almost as if getDaemon().ok()  is never
returning.

> KPilot itself isn't needed for syncing, anyway - the daemon
> does it all. So if you start the daemon and hit the button, does that work?

Yes, but there's a medium-fast loop in kpilotlink.cc until I hit the button,
and then it starts again after the hotsync completes:

	[rap@laptop rap]$ kpilotDaemon
	main                                                (pilotDaemon.cc:802)
	getDebugLevel                                       (kpilotConfig.cc:156)
	getConfig                                           (kpilotConfig.cc:178)
	getConfig: Re-using existing config file /home/rap/.kde/share/config/kpilotrc
	KPilotConfigSettings                                (kpilotConfig.cc:265)
	getDebugLevel                                       (kpilotConfig.cc:139)
	getDebugLevel: Debug level set to 1
	getConfig                                           (kpilotConfig.cc:178)
	main: Configuration version 402
	PilotDaemon                                         (pilotDaemon.cc:286)
	FileInstaller                                       (fileInstaller.cc:69)
	setupPilotLink                                      (pilotDaemon.cc:541)
	init                                                (kpilotlink.cc:88)
	KPilotDeviceLink                                    (kpilotlink.cc:71)
	reloadSettings                                      (pilotDaemon.cc:397)
	getConfig                                           (kpilotConfig.cc:178)
	getPilotSpeed                                       (pilotDaemon.cc:328)
	getPilotSpeed: Speed set to PILOTRATE=19200 (1)
	reloadSettings: Got configuration /dev/pilot (0)
	reloadSettings: Resetting with device /dev/pilot and type deviceTypeString           \
  (kpilotlink.cc:547)
	OldStyleUSB
	reset                                               (kpilotlink.cc:127)
	close                                               (kpilotlink.cc:97)
	close: Closing sockets -1 and -1
	reset                                               (kpilotlink.cc:151)
	close                                               (kpilotlink.cc:97)
	close: Closing sockets -1 and -1
	PilotDaemonTray                                     (pilotDaemon.cc:138)
	setupWidget                                         (pilotDaemon.cc:190)
	slotShowBusy                                        (pilotDaemon.cc:268)
	changeIcon                                          (pilotDaemon.cc:234)
	setupWidget: Finished getting icons
	PilotDaemon: The daemon is ready with status statusString                            \
  (pilotDaemon.cc:498)
	syncTypeString                                      (pilotDaemon.cc:613)
	statusString                                        (kpilotlink.cc:565)
		PilotDaemon=Initializing NextSync=HotSync
		(KPilotDeviceLink=WaitingForDevice) (5)
	showTray                                            (pilotDaemon.cc:374)
	showTray: Tray icon displayed.
	[rap@laptop rap]$ openDevice                      (kpilotlink.cc:165)
	open                                                (kpilotlink.cc:208)
	open: Binding to path /dev/pilot
	open: Tried /dev/pilot and got No such device
	openDevice                                          (kpilotlink.cc:165)
	open                                                (kpilotlink.cc:208)
	open: Binding to path /dev/pilot
	open: Tried /dev/pilot and got No such device
	openDevice                                          (kpilotlink.cc:165)
	open                                                (kpilotlink.cc:208)
	open: Binding to path /dev/pilot
	open: Tried /dev/pilot and got No such device
	openDevice                                          (kpilotlink.cc:165)
	open                                                (kpilotlink.cc:208)
	open: Binding to path /dev/pilot
	acceptDevice                                        (kpilotlink.cc:368)
	acceptDevice: Current status statusString         (kpilotlink.cc:565)
	KPilotDeviceLink=DeviceOpen and master 10
	acceptDevice: Reading user info.
	acceptDevice: Read user name Ross Patterson
	startHotSync                                        (pilotDaemon.cc:633)
... deleted ...
	endHotSync                                          (pilotDaemon.cc:734)
	SyncStack                                           (syncStack.cc:210)
	close                                               (kpilotlink.cc:97)
	close: Closing sockets 11 and 10
	slotShowNormal                                      (pilotDaemon.cc:262)
	changeIcon                                          (pilotDaemon.cc:234)
	reset                                               (kpilotlink.cc:151)
	close                                               (kpilotlink.cc:97)
	close: Closing sockets -1 and -1
	openDevice                                          (kpilotlink.cc:165)
	open                                                (kpilotlink.cc:208)
	open: Got master 10
	open: Binding to path /dev/pilot
	open: Tried /dev/pilot and got No such device
	openDevice                                          (kpilotlink.cc:165)
	open                                                (kpilotlink.cc:208)
	open: Binding to path /dev/pilot
	open: Tried /dev/pilot and got No such device

> I vaguely recally 4.3.3 being right in the middle of a lengthy and painful
> process of redoing KPilot and that it was horribly broken in many ways. I'd
> really suggest upgrading it again.

OK, I'll look into it.

Thanks!

Ross