List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] sync and id's for messages
From:       Norman Urs Baier <spiessli () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-08-06 15:09:12

Thanks, seems fair, only then I would have to store this random number on my
device, or entrys will not get synced, but duplicated.
Having a device that doesn't allow for that, best I can come up with is some
scrambled version of one of the entrys and perhaps a prefix.

Did I understand right then, when I have 2 times the same entry once in my
kaddressbook and once on the device, there is no way, that these entrys will
get synced, as I don't know the ID of the kaddressbook entry.

onsdag 06 augusti 2003 16:32 skrev Tobias Koenig:
    On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:21:47PM +0200, Norman Urs Baier wrote:
    Hi Norman,

    > I've seen that it is very crucial for a good sync, that the addressee
    > has a good ID. First I had forgotten to add an ID and then the entrys
    > just got multiplied after multiple sync's. Then I've added as ID simply
    > the formatted name, now entrys don't get multiplied.

    I wouldn't do that. You can't imagine how fast such a duplicated
    formatted name will appear in a real production environment.

    > Now my question: What is a good ID? What do Qtopia and kaddressbook
    > use?

    Whenever you create a new Addressee object the uid is initialized
    automatically by a random, 10 character long string.
    If you want to do the initialization manually, use
      KApplication::randomString( 10 )

    Ciao,
    Tobias