List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KMail, KOrganizer, and Exchange2k
From:       Guenter Schwann <schwann () icg ! tu-graz ! ac ! at>
Date:       2003-05-14 6:11:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 01:31, David Bishop wrote:
> The good: thus far, the basics (email and addressbook) works great.
> Auto-completion of email addresses from ldap doesn't work, but I've been
> told that it does work in HEAD, and I'm happy to wait.  IMAP seems to

But you will be forced to wait rather long, as next major KDE release will
be in 1/2 - 1 year from now.

> The bad:  Accepting invitations sent via email doesn't work wonderfully.
>  I am 100% confident that this is an Outlook problem, but I'm hoping
> someone else has run into this before.  Attached is an example of what
> is being sent by default.  Running it through korganizerIn does nothing
> whatsoever.  Comparing against an iMiP (iTiP?) message generated by
> korganizer, it appears that the "header" (i.e., stuff before the vcal)
> is different.  Any way around that, via a script or something?  Or do I
> have to convince the email group to change some setting in
> exchange/outlook?  Thus far, the "solution" has been to save off the ics
> part, and use the 'Merge calendar' option.  Obviously sub-optimum.
>
> Outlook (the web-client or Outlook 2000 standalone) doesn't seem to
> recognize korganizer-generated invites.  The only reason that I assumed
> this would work is from the workshop documentation on korganizer.kde.org
> explicitely names Outlook as a "iTiP and iMiP" compliant tool.  Newer
> version, maybe?  This is kind of a deal-breaker for us, unless there is
> a work-around.  Combined with the previous paragraph's problem, there is
> almost no communication between the two clients.  And while I can write
> (or borrow) a script to put in my linux user's filters, and make them
> hit ctrl-j, etc, the reverse is not true: any linux->windows invites
> must work seamlessly (server-side changes may be possible) ...

All those Outlook-KOrganizer stuff is a not well tested as of lack of
Outlok-access of KOrganizer developers.
Maybe you should evaluate "Kolab client" (http://kroupware.kde.org). This
basicly is KMail/Kaddressbook/KOrganizer/KNote unified to one application
(like Outlook). Originally there is the Kolab-Server that should be used
as server, but as IMAP is used for the most parts, your Exchange shouldn't
restrict it to bad. "Klarälvdalens Datakonsult" did a lot of work to
provide seamless Kolab-Client <-> Outlook communication.
Most of their work is ported back to KDE, and the result inside of KDE will
be called "kontact". But again you will be forced to wait until KDE 3.2.

> Is there anyway to "Auto-publish"?  After creating an appointment with
> attendees, it seems counter-intuitive that you would have to select what
> you just created, and click "Publish".  Again, I might be missing
> something, but I certainly dug around in the preferences long enough....

That would defintely be a good point for our wishlist. Can you please go to
bugs.kde.org and make a new wishlist item?

ciao
--
Guenter Schwann
Graz University of Technology - Computer Graphics and Vision