List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KMail, KOrganizer, and Exchange2k
From:       David Bishop <tech () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2003-05-13 23:31:27

My company (Micron) is currently evaluating various linux clients for
feasability in replacing Outlook on the desktop.  This will *not* be a
general conversion (I can see the /. headlines now: "Micron converting to
Linux, says "FU M$!"....), but has to be useful for general unix admin and
programmer types (like, well, me, for example).  That is, there will
eventually be somewhere around 50 to 100 people who need to be able to
read/send their email, accept, generate, and modify appointments, and hit the
ldap addressbook.  I think the only other thing would be to handle "tasks",
but that's fairly low down the priority scale.  We just recently converted to
Exchange2000 from v.5 (or whatever was before), and are still ironing out
some bugs, but are mostly happy with it.  The alternative to KMail+Korganizer
is the Evolution Connector plugin.  For fairly obvious reasons (apart from
the $70 a head price-tag) I'm trying my best to present KDE as the cheap, and
better, alternative.

The good: thus far, the basics (email and addressbook) works great.
Auto-completion of email addresses from ldap doesn't work, but I've been told
that it does work in HEAD, and I'm happy to wait.  IMAP seems to work even
better with Exchange2k than before.  Filters would be nice, but I think we
can wait on those as well (I'm very familiar with the whole discussion
there).  Downloading existing appointments into KOrganizer from the exchange
server, uploading new ones to the server, and deleting all work great (and
fast!).

The bad:  Accepting invitations sent via email doesn't work wonderfully.  I am
100% confident that this is an Outlook problem, but I'm hoping someone else
has run into this before.  Attached is an example of what is being sent by
default.  Running it through korganizerIn does nothing whatsoever.  Comparing
against an iMiP (iTiP?) message generated by korganizer, it appears that the
"header" (i.e., stuff before the vcal) is different.  Any way around that,
via a script or something?  Or do I have to convince the email group to
change some setting in exchange/outlook?  Thus far, the "solution" has been
to save off the ics part, and use the 'Merge calendar' option.  Obviously
sub-optimum.

Outlook (the web-client or Outlook 2000 standalone) doesn't seem to recognize
korganizer-generated invites.  The only reason that I assumed this would work
is from the workshop documentation on korganizer.kde.org explicitely names
Outlook as a "iTiP and iMiP" compliant tool.  Newer version, maybe?  This is
kind of a deal-breaker for us, unless there is a work-around.  Combined with
the previous paragraph's problem, there is almost no communication between
the two clients.  And while I can write (or borrow) a script to put in my
linux user's filters, and make them hit ctrl-j, etc, the reverse is not true:
any linux->windows invites must work seamlessly (server-side changes may be
possible) ...

Is there anyway to "Auto-publish"?  After creating an appointment with
attendees, it seems counter-intuitive that you would have to select what you
just created, and click "Publish".  Again, I might be missing something, but
I certainly dug around in the preferences long enough....

Well, that's all I can think of right now.  I had three times as many items
listed at first, but spending some time at bugs.kde.org, in the various docs,
and playing around in config dialogues weeded the pack down to this.  At any
time if the answer is "That's a bug" or "That's a wish", just say that and
I'll be happy to trundle off to bugs.kde.org.  I just can't help but think
that it's my lack of understanding that's holding things back though, and
that's why I'm here.

Vital stats: I'm running debian/sid, with KDE 3.1.1a.  Rollout would be on
Redhat 7.2/8.0 with a self-compiled KDE, latest stable.  None of that should
matter too much...

--
MuMlutlitithtrhreeaadededd s siigngnatatuurere
D.A.Bishop