List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Usability help needed for KPilot
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-04-21 19:07:20

On Monday 21 April 2003 17:24, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> When do you want to apply the settings done in the embedded conduit
> configure dialogs? The "OK" and "Cancel" buttons just exit the whole config
> dialog, and adding three additional buttons (OK, Apply and Cancel for the
> conduit's settings) would look pretty bad to me.

Right. The idea is that this will eventually not be a dialog, but a page
inside KPilot itself. See snapshot9.png (same address) for what I had in
mind.

> All the cancel button does is to discard the changes to the list of used
> conduits.

Yes, so the meaning of the buttons is confusing here.

> Or do you want to do it like kcontrol, where you will be asked about
> applying your changes when you select a different conduit?

Yeah, when changing conduits or when closing the dialog / configuration page
it needs to ask save changes? And also whether the changes to the list need
to be saved.

Again, these first screenies are a proof-of-concept, since I liked Aaron's
idea, and was wondering whether it would look/work OK in practice.

> > The second one uses elements from Reinhold's revamped sync setup page
> > (Reinhold: that's the .ui you sent me). I don't understand what emergency
> > sync is supposed to mean.
>
> It is the place where you can choose "Just copy everything from the
> handheld to the PC and delete everything that has been on the PC so far"
> (and of course the other way round). This is quite useful if you screwed up
> your calendar or your addressbook and don't want the changes to be applied
> to the handheld... I couldn't come up with a better description for that
> combobox, so feel free to change it to whatever makes sense.

What about "sync style" .. no. How about adding a sync mode "emergency" in the
top group box with the emergency dropdown to its right? Then after an
emergency sync we can ask the user what sync mode should be used in future
(fast, slow, or another emergency). And instead of "emergency", use
"special". That's kind of a way of hiding a bunch of less-frequently-used
options in plain sight.

> I can't remember if I put it into the ui file, but we should put a "Force
> first-time-sync" setting to the emergency combobox, too.

I'll add it.

> I think the general dialog is missing the "use kmail for the groupware
> sync" checkbox, isn't it?

Yes, it is. I guess a "misc" groupbox for this checkbox and sync files would
be useful? Note that this page of general sync stuff actually shouldn't show
within the conduit config page. I'd say it belongs in the main KPilot
configuration page (where you _had_ it originally, anyway).

> Also, we should add a checkbox to enable the automatic backup of all
> changed databases (and add a list of databases that will be ignored).

Fast sync was supposed to just run conduits, while normal sync is supposed to
backup (sync) all databases anyway.

> Concerning the names of the conduits in the list:

Four good points. I'll see what I can do, but I'm still running the conduits
from BRANCH because HEAD conduits are SIC with older KDE versions.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
     Key fingerprint = 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE