List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Exchange support for KMail?
From:       David Bishop <tech () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2003-04-16 20:09:19

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 01:47 pm, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> If you navigate to the following URL on your exchange server in Konq:
>
> 	webdav://exchange-uid@exchange-server-name/exchange/your-mail-folder
> 	(or webdavs for secure)
>
> .. you will see the full structure of your exchnage acct. You can even
> create new folders and drag files in via Konqueror.
>
> What I am wondering is if we cna use this to give Exchnage support to KMail
> via WebDAV. If you go to your Inbox, you will see all your email messages
> as .EML files. The filesize seems to be reported correctly, but the other
> data is not. HOWEVER, the HTML version of the message can easily be
> retrieved via the filename?cmd=Open.. example
>
> webdav://exchange-uid@exchange-server-name/exchange/your-mail-folder/Inbox/
>message1.EML?cmd=Open
>
> .. the info needed for proper mesage headers can all be garneredf rom this
> retrieved HTML message fairly easily using a few regexps.
>
> Could we add support for exchange over wbedav to kmail? I was going to make
> another io slave, but webdav seems to do the job just fine as is..

The reason it works fine is because Jan-Pascal has put a lot of hard work into
making the webdav work with exchange :-)  Indeed, there is already support
(that was shipped in 3.1) for using korganizer with exchange2k.  Now, if all
you want is the email portion, well, KMail works fine with Exchange even
earlier than 2k, simply using imap (I use it for my work email).  As for
using webdav as some sort of imap replacement, well, that sounds pretty hokey
to me :-)

HTH.

--
MuMlutlitithtrhreeaadededd s siigngnatatuurere
D.A.Bishop